Goulburn Street Primary School is a heritage listed Department of Education facility which includes an original 1943 building by SWT Blythe. Sensitivity was given to streetscape, the SWT Blythe structure and major trees on the site.
Limited space necessitated careful integration of new elements. The new multi-purpose building provides an alternate entry to the school, linking two large oak trees and revealing a broad vista of West Hobart toward the city. The roof profile is low, in deference to the original building, while gently gesturing toward the oaks at either end. A disused canteen space creates a library reading room in the original building. Resuscitation of the school courtyard and a layering wall to the tennis court complete the project.